Foundations of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism (Bilingual Education & Bilingualism #127) (Paperback)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 127 in the Bilingual Education & Bilingualism series.
- #27: Foundations (3rd Ed.) of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism (Hardcover): Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (847) 234-4420 for price information.
- #29: An Introductory Reader to the Writings of Jim Cummins (Bilingual Education & Bilingualism #29) (Paperback): $53.93
The seventh edition of this bestselling textbook has been extensively revised and updated to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to bilingualism and bilingual education in an everchanging world. Written in a compact and clear style, the book covers all the crucial issues in bilingualism and multilingualism at individual, group and societal levels. Updates to the new edition include:
- Thoroughly updated chapters with over 500 new citations of the latest research.
- Six chapters with new titles to better reflect their updated content.
- A new Chapter 16 on Deaf-Signing People, Bilingualism/Multilingualism, and Bilingual Education.
- The latest demographics and other statistical data.
- Recent developments in and limitations of brain imaging research.
- An expanded discussion of key topics including multilingual education, codeswitching, translanguaging, translingualism, biliteracy, multiliteracies, metalinguistic and morphological awareness, superdiversity, raciolinguistics, anti-racist education, critical post-structural sociolinguistics, language variation, motivation, age effects, power, and neoliberal ideologies.
- Recent US policy developments including the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), Seal of Biliteracy, Proposition 58, LOOK Act, Native American Languages Preservation Act, and state English proficiency standards and assessments consortia (WIDA, ELPA21).
- New global examples of research, policy, and practice beyond Europe and North America.
- Technology and language learning on the internet and via mobile apps, and multilingual language use on the internet and in social media.
Students and Instructors will benefit from updated chapter features including:
- New bolded key terms corresponding to a comprehensive glossary
- Recommended readings and online resources
- Discussion questions and study activities
About the Author
Colin Baker is Emeritus Professor at Bangor University, UK. He is the author of over 140 research publications, a best-selling book for parents of bilingual children and an encyclopedia, all on the subject of bilingualism, as well as the six previous editions of this textbook. He is the former co-editor of the Bilingual Education and Bilingualism book series for Multilingual Matters and was editor of the International Journal of Bilingualism and Bilingual Education for 15 years. Wayne E. Wright is an Associate Dean, Professor, and the Barbara I. Cook Chair of Literacy and Language at Purdue University, USA. He has over 100 research publications, and is the author of a bestselling book on teaching English language learners. He is the co-editor of the Journal of Language, Identity, and Education and co-editor of the Bilingual Education and Bilingualism book series for Multilingual Matters.