Mountain Magic: Explore the Secrets of Old Time Witchcraft (Modern Folk Magic) (Hardcover)
Discover the wisdom and magic of Appalachia through Mountain Magic, an illustrated guide to the occult power of the hills and hollows.
The people of Appalachia and the American backwoods have a long and deep magical tradition, one rooted in the power of place, land, and nature. With a creativity and ingenuity born of necessity, Appalachian witches built and sustained a wealth of magical knowledge drawn from European, Native American, and African American folk magic. Guided by expert witch and forager Rebecca Beyer, you can explore the wisdom of this powerful place:
- Learn medical and magical uses for common plants and herbs
- Meet the traditional magical practitioners of Appalachia, from Blood Stoppers to Water Witches
- Delve into a wealth of charms and curses, from witchballs to love workings
- Follow the lore of the stars and seasons to grow and thrive
Some of the magic and culture you will encounter in this enchanted guide include:
- Magical lore surrounding the weather, seasons, and the movements of the moon and stars
- Recipes for a tonic salad to move the blood in springtime and a cleansing spicebush tea
- Profiles of the medicinal and magical properties of some essential mountain plants, including ginseng, blackberry, poke, sassafras, and mullein
- Charms to protect from evil, including witch bottles, a holly twig charm, and the SATOR ROTAS square
With this beautifully illustrated guide, you can bring the wisdom and magic of the backwoods to meet the challenges of modern life, building a magical practice that’s fueled by ancestral traditions and the nourishing power of the natural world.
The Modern Folk Magic series offers accessible and engaging introductions to folk magical traditions from a fresh, modern perspective. Linking the current enthusiasm for magical practice back to the deeply rooted magical traditions in the United States and elsewhere, the titles in this series give depth and cultural meaning to the practice of witchcraft. These beautiful books serve as hands-on guides for learning and practicing folk magic, from authors who are experts in these traditions. Check out the other books in the series including Hoodoo Magic.
About the Author
REBECCA BEYER is an Appalachian ethnobotanist living in the mountains of Western North Carolina, where she manages a homestead and teaches traditional witchcraft, foraging, and Appalachian folk medicine. She has a BS in plant and soil science from the University of Vermont and a master’s in Appalachian studies and sustainability, concentrating in Appalachian ethnobotany, from Appalachian State University. She is also a member of the Association of Foragers. She spends her days trying to learn what her ancestors did and finding ways to share traditional skills while tackling cultural appropriation and the complexities of living in the modern world.
“Rebecca Beyer’s fresh, can’t-miss book is a love letter to the traditions, folklore, and people of Appalachia…Imbued with a love of people and place, Mountain Magic is a standout occult text.”—ForeWord Reviews