The Lake Forest Book Store was founded in 1949 by consortium of 12 local women and managed by Louise Lackner Morehouse. The original site of the store was 624 N. Western Ave., a 650 sq. ft. retail space. Originally named The Book Stall, the store was renamed Lake Forest Book Store in 1957. Over the years, ownership passed to Hildy Gathany and later to Marian Strickland. In 1995, the store was purchased by Susan Boucher and Louise Wood (eventually Susan became the sole owner).
In early 2004, the store moved to the historic Market Square corner space at 680 N. Western Ave. This new location of 1,800 sq. ft. allowed expansion of retail sales space. Sue owned the store for a total of 18 years until October of 2013, when Mrs. Eleanor Thorn purchased the store.
In March of 2016, the Lake Forest Book Store expanded and moved to its present location at 662 N. Western Ave. Now occupying 2550 sq. ft. of selling space in the historic James Anderson building, the Lake Forest Book Store continues its 69-year relationship with the community and looks forward to serving the residents and visitors for years to come. We maintain a dedicated staff of well-read, local women to help curate your purchase. We appreciate the support of our community in shipping local and independent.
Lake Forest Book Store Consignment Agreement